Please E-mail suggested additions, comments and/or corrections to Kent@MoreLaw.Com.
Case Number: 1:14-cr-00158-JL-1
Judge: Joseph N. Laplante
Court: United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire (Merrimack County)
Plaintiff's Attorney: United States Attorney’s Office
Description: Concord, New Hampshire criminal defense lawyer represented Defendant charged with making false statements in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1001(a)(2), which provides: (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully—
(1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact;
(2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or
(3) makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry;
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both. If the matter relates to an offense under chapter 109A, 109B, 110, or 117, or section 1591, then the term of imprisonment imposed under this section shall be not more than 8 years.
(b) Subsection (a) does not apply to a party to a judicial proceeding, or that party's counsel, for statements, representations, writings or documents submitted by such party or counsel to a judge or magistrate in that proceeding.
(c) With respect to any matter within the jurisdiction of the legislative branch, subsection (a) shall apply only to—
(1) administrative matters, including a claim for payment, a matter related to the procurement of property or services, personnel or employment practices, or support services, or a document required by law, rule, or regulation to be submitted to the Congress or any office or officer within the legislative branch; or
(2) any investigation or review, conducted pursuant to the authority of any committee, subcommittee, commission or office of the Congress, consistent with applicable rules of the House or Senate.
Outcome: 07/21/2021 4 NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE Anna Dronzek appearing for USA. Attorney Anna Dronzek added to party USA(pty:pla).(Dronzek, Anna) (Entered: 07/21/2021)
07/21/2021 5 MOTION to Dismiss by USA as to Miller Octavio Upegui-Sossa.Follow up on Objection on 8/4/2021. The court only follow up date DOES NOT include 3 additional days that may apply per FRCP 6(d) and FRCrP 45(c). (Dronzek, Anna) (Entered: 07/21/2021)
07/21/2021 ENDORSED ORDER granting 5 Motion to Dismiss as to Miller Octavio Upegui-Sossa (1). Text of Order: Granted. So Ordered by Judge Joseph N. Laplante. (ko) (Entered: 07/22/2021)